Content marketing still gets a lot of attention. And there are many reasons for that. But if you’re a company that is trying to make content marketing work for you and having trouble, you don’t need me to repeat all of the reasons you should stick it out. You want me to give you tips on how to make it work.
So here are five easy steps to create better content that will work for you:
1. Track current performance – the first thing you need to do is analyze what is working and what is not. Use a simple tool like Google Analytics to find out who is reading your articles. Where are they coming from? How long are they on your site? What are they doing after visiting your site?
2. Pick the best writers – the best writers are the ones who are writing the articles that are getting the most readers. The readers are visiting in higher numbers, they are staying on the site longer, and they are taking other actions while on the site. Maybe you have not found them yet. In that case, use Craigslist to go out and find writers with some level of expertise in your area.
3. Pay for performance – offer to pay writers based on performance. Performance can be anything you want it to be, as long as you are accomplishing your goals and have a way of tracking it that is fair to the writers. You can pay for visitors, for shares, or for sales or leads generated. This way you are incentivizing writers to create better content that attracts more people.
4. Improve distribution – get the content out to more people by utilizing simple tools like email lists, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and blogs. Share content with your audience and get others to share it as well by giving them an easy tool to do so.
5. Eliminate poor performers – by continuing to track performance, you can eliminate the writers that are not putting out the most effective content and spending more time and money finding writers that are more successful.
For more info, check out my Three Stages of Content Marketing.