It’s tough to do anything online and not run into so called marketing experts claiming that they have the one thing you need to do to succeed, or the reason why this certain brand of marketing is about to go extinct. Hey, you’re reading a blog post by one such marketing expert right now.
But I’m here to tell you not to listen to us, at least not all the time…
- Every industry is different. What works for me
in the industries I am familiar with might be crazy in other industries, where
the market is completely different.
- Every company is different. A company like Apple
doesn’t have to sell people on the Apple brand anymore. So what they do in
their marketing has nothing to do with a smaller company that does not have
that kind of brand appeal.
- Technologies change. With the rate of change in
new technology, “new” marketing ideas or channels might be gone before you even
read about them.
- Consumers change. What works to get someone’s
attention today might not work on that same person a year from now. People are
so overwhelmed with marketing efforts today that they are getting good at
tuning out things that they have already seen.
- Sometimes we get lucky. We have success and assume it’s because we had such a brilliant idea and executed perfectly. But maybe we just got lucky, and we couldn’t recreate that kind of success again if we tried. So how could you expect to?