Welcome to another edition of the “5 Reasons” blog series. This will be a weekly blog series, with a fresh post every Monday. Last week’s topic was “Five Reasons Your Email Isn’t Getting Opened”.
This Week’s Topic = Five Reasons You Need to Generate News
It’s called different things in different circles: buzz, press, news, chatter, etc. Whatever you call it, it’s important for your business. And it can be done in a number of ways. Want more details about the how and not the why? Check out my post on creating buzz.
Here are five reasons to generate news for your business:
- Stay relevant. News helps you stay relevant. Companies that don’t generate news tend to disappear, whereas companies that generate a lot of news are always top of mind. When third parties talk about you instead of you just talking about yourself, they are helping your credibility in the eyes of the consumer market.
- Attract press. News begets news. When you create news, you will attract the press who are looking for a story. If your story is the one they’re looking for at the time, you just found free marketing. Congrats!
- Generate links. News on your website helps your link strategy. You can link from a press release back to your website. You can link from the press section on your site back to another page on your site. And you can push news and other content out into the social world and get others to share your content, with links back to your site.
- Rank higher. When you generate links you rank higher in search engines. One of the biggest things that Google and Bing look at are the links that come into your site from others. And in addition to links, frequently updated content is a strong component of any search engine optimization strategy.
- Stand out from competition. If your competition is not generating news, you immediately have an advantage in the marketplace. If they are, you’re eliminating an advantage they have over you. Either way, it’s a winning strategy.
As always, if you have your own landing page tips, please include them in the comments below.