Welcome to this week’s edition of “Little Things”, a weekly blog series covering the small changes that you can make to improve marketing performance.
Last week’s topic was getting and using testimonials.
This week’s tip:
When we’re talking about links, search engine optimization is the name of the game. Link building is at the heart of a solid SEO strategy, which you can use to get your website ranked more highly in Google and other search engines. That means more visitors, and often more customers.
When people link to your site, search engines take that as a sign that your site is relevant. The more sites that link to you, the better (in most cases). So the plan here is to get as many links as possible. Below is a list of ideas you can use to start building links, ranging from the very quick and simple, to the more time and labor intensive.
- Create internal links – links from one page to another on your site are the basis for a good SEO strategy, and the start of a linking campaign.
- Social media – managing a Facebook page, a Twitter account, and other social media pages give you a place to plug in links back to your website.
- Blog – create a blog that lives on your site and routinely link to other pages on your site.
- Blog + Social Media – publishing blog posts regularly means you can push those posts out through your social media channels.
- PR – Use an affordable online press release distributor to publish releases that have links back to your site.
- Blog + Blogosphere – reach out to other bloggers in your space and ask them to link back to a recent post or your main blog page in return for a link from you.
- Whitepapers – create exclusive content for your industry that is only available on your site, then contact online publishers in the space and tell them they might be interested in it themselves. Tell them they can share it with their readers in exchange for a link back to your site as the source.
- Articles – Write articles for free article sites or other companies/blogs who need content and include a link back to your site.
- Partners – Develop a partners program where one aspect includes a logo and a link from them to you and vice versa.
There are millions of things you can do to get more links to your site. And the more you get (from relevant sources) the higher you will rise in the search rankings. Obviously there is more to SEO, but this is a great start.