Email marketing is both an art and a science. There are rebels, those that go against the grain. Some are successful, others are very much not successful.
If you’re new to email marketing, here are 10 Commandments to live by:
- You shall grow your membership database via an opt-in option instead of adding people to your list and forcing them to opt-out.
- You shall never send an email to someone after they have already unsubscribed.
- You shall not bombard the users’ email inbox with more than they can handle. Set a regular schedule based on the type of services or products you offer and stick to it. Resist the urge to increase frequency.
- You shall use a subject line that relates to the nature of the email. Resist the urge to “trick” the person into opening the email.
- You shall make all emails that you send relevant to the audience that will receive them.
- You shall test your emails to improve performance non-stop.
- You shall track the performance of every email that you send.
- You shall respect the privacy of your subscribers, and never take them for granted.
- You shall worship email marketing as long as you live, never giving in or believing that the next up and coming technology makes email marketing obsolete.
- You shall break the rules when and if it makes sense to do so.